Destination SydVestjylland (The Wadden Sea) consists of Esbjerg, Tønder and Fanø municipalities. Together these make up Destination South West Jutland, which has more than 3.2 million overnight stays every year - many of which are German visitors.
Particularly the islands of Fanø and Rømø attracts a large number of visitors who enjoy the unique nature attractions as well as local specialities and local activities all year round.
For those visitors who are interested in culture, Ribe and Tønder are attractive towns with their old original town centres with exciting attractions.
Esbjerg - the 5th largest city in Denmark - offers trade and activity all year round and is connected via motorway to the other towns and cities in Denmark.
- Lively holiday islands, such as Rømø and Fanø.
- Esbjerg (population of approx. 120,000), the 5th largest city in Denmark.
- The historical town of Ribe (population of approx. 8,000)
- The genuine town of Tønder (population of approx. 8,000)
- LEGOLAND, Billund (approx. 2.0m visitors)
- LEGO House, Billund
- Tirpitz museum, Blåvand
- Fiskeri & Søfartsmuseet, Esbjerg
- Ribe Vikingecenter
- Ribe Cathedral
- Vadehavscentret, Ribe
- Esbjerg Art Museum
Main nature experiences
- World heritage The Wadden Sea National Park
- Black sun
The area offers a range of renowned restaurants that focus on local foods. The main ones are:
- Sønderho Kro, Fanø
- Kellers Badehotel, Fanø
- Fanø Bryghus
- Schackenborg Slotskro, Møgeltønder
- Hjerting Badehotel, Esbjerg
- Ribehøj, Ribe
A number of events are creating continuous activity in the area and extends the season. The main ones are:
The area has great infrastructure and is connected to Billund Airport by motorway.
The majority of the commercial overnight stays is centred around the holiday house, and growth is currently occurring in this holiday form and in the German market. There is a demand for more overnight stays that accommodate short stays.
Current capacity distribution:
- Number of holiday houses: approx. 6,000
- Number of camping and caravan sites: 21
- Number of hotels: 20 (more than 40 beds)
- Number of holiday centres: 6